Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kahunas, Confidence or Courage?

So there I am in the pre-screening room at the Betty Lou Ourisman Center at GUH in my stylish hospital gown. Edith told me to make sure it opens to the front. Yay -- that's a great look for all of us as we creep out of the changing room clutching our gowns and hiding behind our handbags. I take my seat with my five minute friends and join in nervous chat with the ladies.  Even the most confident woman has that thousand-yard stare on mammogram day. I had already been at the hospital all morning to talk about a radiation treatment v. surgery for the new mass attached to my large intestine.  We will cover that in more detail later.



So "Sally" comes marching out of the screening room chuckling about how the technician had to take three pics of her boobs because she is so well endowed.  Instantly, we are friendly hens and clucking away about our yearly boob-check. I learn that these three ladies drove up from Dumfries, VA area to have their mammograms. Talk about Friendship! What a great way to encourage each other. I declare that they simply MUST go have a fabulous lunch with a glass of champagne and suggest a few great spots.(Hey maybe that's how I should have planned the day...) We trade a few comments and giggle.  "Betty" looks over and says..."Those are some tights. It takes some confidence to wear those!"

"Ha! Honey- after everything I've been through, I'll wear whatever I want!.  I felt like I was channeling Sally Bowles and her green nail polish  -- because it is pretty!

Was it confidence that made me pick that costume today? Courage or just Kahunas.  I thought they were pretty and why not wear them!?! Or was it because I have a crush on someone and hoped he noticed?  Well, maybe a little bit of all of that. And after all, why not enjoy the pretty things.  After all, Life is a Cabaret Old Chum! http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/life-is-a-cabaret/fc458b84abb18ef8ee58fc458b84abb18ef8ee58-296625701112?q=life%20is%20a%20cabaret&FROM=LKVR5&GT1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR5

Toodle Oooh!

xxoo
Nicoco

No comments:

Post a Comment