Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Depends, No really DEPENDS!

Just when you think that you would never have such a conversation, you find yourself enjoying discussing a conversation about grownup diapers.  How did this happen? Well, in typical roundabout fashion I have become an expert on Depends.

A few weeks ago, my niece -- the Bean, sent me a text begging me to come to visit for the weekend. We had great fun having a slumber party Saturday night and watching Robin Hood. We googled a great many historical facts about Robin Hood(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood) and Richard the Lion Hearted(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_I_of_England). There was also quite a dispute as to whether Cate Blanchett as Maid Marion is an English rose or just quite plain.  It is still up for debate.

Oh yes...On Sunday the girls -Sissy, Bug, Bean and I set out to be ultra productive. One of our stops was to go see Grandma. Grandma is Sissy's husbands gram. Grandma is smart, sassy, outspoken -- tough on the outside and gooey nougat on the inside. She has been a long time warrior against cancer and thus loved and respected. This also means that she and I have much in common despite our 40 some odd years in age difference.  Grandma is quite nimble with the knitting needles and had fashioned a lovely lap afghan for me. Since she toiled over it and selected the colours to match my living room, I was honored to go see her in person and accept my gift. As you can see, it is quite pretty. Mr. Bonkers loves it too and has claimed it for his own.

Well, like any two old hens, we simply had to discuss our conditions. We both share some sensitivities with the digestive system -- embarrassing, frustrating but it is what it is.  Our commiserations opened up a 30 minute discussion regarding Depends. Yes-- adult diapers. Well -- we talked about the Depends Brand, CVS store brand, alternatives, where to buy them; when they were on sale, who has coupons, and best cost per unit.  Of course this prompted me to grab the iPhone and search away. Now Grandma is on multiple lists to receive coupons, free samples and the offer to go pick up Depends or have them delivered to the door.  We really spent 30 minutes talking about Depends. I think my sister dozed off at one point.

I still hope I never need them, but at least I will know how to get them when I do. Aaah...you laugh but next time you see your great Grandparent or your aging Mom or Dad -- you will find yourself happy to know how to find the right Huggie.


Hugs to all of you! I saw some doctors this week and more to come...I'll keep you posted.

coco


No comments:

Post a Comment