Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Class Act - Elizabeth Edwards and a Mother remembered....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/06/elizabeth.edwards.obit/index.html
Today we lost quite a lady and I define lady as one with elegance, class, grace, strength, intelligence -- clearly the list of adjectives goes on and on.  I've had a hard time following her as she battled breast cancer just like my mom. Elizabeth's battle was public and private and she had already been through the loss of a child and the pain of a marriage that just went the wrong direction. Yet, through it all she kept a clear head and graced us with that beautiful smile. 


From experience, I know what her family must have experienced these last few months as the realization  that her time in this earthly life was soon to end.  I read that her family was with her today. And as I read that, and even now as I try to tap out these words, my throat becomes tight and the tears well up in my eyes as I remember that morning in April 2000.  


It was then that my own mother took her last breath. All those closest to her were in the room. My dad, sister, brother, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, her own mother, Loyal (our hospice chaplain) and our hospice nurse. We made a chain holding hands and in that moment were were ONE taking that last soft breath with her and sending her Home together...think we said the Lord's prayer...  It was as perfect and beautiful as it could possibly be.  Mom's birthday was just a few days ago and every year it is as fresh as it was that day.  


Dad, Ron, Mom, Ru, Me  - happy times long ago
Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1996. She was always terrified of cancer and afraid to have her mammograms even though the warning signs had been in place for years After a cosmetic surgery, the pathologists found the cancer in the tissue and nightmare for her began. It must have been stage IV when they found it but she and Dad didn't really share all of the details with us.  In 1999, she started having vision problems and finally a good opthamologist realized it was a blind spot.  Back to the tests and the diagnosis -- metastasis to her brain. She fought like hell for another 6 months or so. She was so scared but never complained. Like always, she stayed strong for us.  


Her strength and grace are with us now as my family supports my battle. I only hope that I can be 1/100 as much of a lady about this as Elizabeth Edwards and dearly missed and beloved Carolyn Jean. 

Mom -- I'd give anything -- anything to sit in the living room and hear you play this for me. I love you so much and miss you beyond belief. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LXl4y6D-QI


All my love,
Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your mom sounds like a great lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mom was a great mother, husband and general all around person. It was a bad year for us in 2000. At the Turkey Shoot Sunday, I kept looking over at your Dad, and was thinking, we keep experiencing bad things together, your family and mine and was thinking he was thinking the same thing. My Dad died in February 2000, and then we had to relive it again when your Mom passed in April. It was awful. And now both you and Dave are fighting cancer together, something just keeps bringing our 2 families together. I just wish for one time, it was for something more positive, like a party. So you better hurry up and throw one. LOL. Like the opening of the Coco Lounge. Take care Nicole. You and Dave need to keep fighting this terrible battle and just take things one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, thanks for sharing. You have your mother's smile! XOXO

    ReplyDelete